Vitamin D3 --> Take a minimum of 2000IU daily. Please make sure you are taking a brand that is D3 and not something else as your body will better absorb and use the D3 form. Vitamin D is extremely important for supporting your immune system along with helping to ward off the Seasonal Blues that can come as a side effect of lack of sun. (Keep in mind, you should consult a Holistic Nutritionist, Naturopathic Doctor
or a Medical Doctor to figure out if you may require higher therapeutic doses).
Now, if you happen to end up suffering from a cold, that is bringing you down, there are a few things you can do.
1) Vitamin C (Bufferred vitamin C) - I know that there are many fruit out there that are super high in vitamin C, but unfortunately, once you are sick, you may likely need much higher doses of vitamin C. Can you get too much? Well, to be honest, you will know if you have reached your limit when you have to run to the bathroom with diarrhea, but that can take quite a bit of vitamin C. For example, when I am sick, I can take 13000mg a day. The vitamin C will help flush out the free radicals that are in your body making you sick.
2) Zinc: You can take zinc in a supplement form or you can purchase it as a zinc Lozenge. Zinc is known to boost the immune system and help you get rid of a cold much quicker.
3) Probiotic: Taking a probiotic will help to ensure the bacteria in your body are in check. We all have unhealthy and healthy bacteria living in our body. They actually live in harmony. The problem is when this balance becomes affected and the bad outnumber the good. If that happens, you are much more susceptible to getting sick.
4) Get lots of rest! I know that isn't the easiest thing to do, especially with the demands of children, work, housework etc, but do your best to get that rest!
5) Avoid Sugar, dairy and Processed foods
6) Consume lots of fluid (water mostly) and enjoy healthy soups and broths
5) Make yourself a naturally, delicious antibiotic!
1 Garlic clove
2 tbsp manuka honey (raw honey will work ok) - you can find this in a health food store
2 tbsp grated organic ginger
½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp cinnamon
½ Cup organic lemon juice
Take 3-4 times until symptoms are gone
Another great option for boosting your immune system and kicking the cold is my cold and flu herbal remedy kit. I posted it last year (if you want to read the article click here: http://www.coachdeannefitnessandnutrition.blogspot.ca/2012/04/bring-you-immune-system-back-on-track.html) , but for quick reference,
Tincture (every 3-4 hours)
10 drops astragalus (boosts immune system)
5 drops propolis (immune booster, anti-bacterial)
5 drops oil of oregano (anti-bacterial)
Cold and Flu Herbal Tea (3-4 cups daily)
1 part Echinacea
1 part bayberry bark
½ part elderberry flower
½ part goldenseal
1 part red raspberry leaf
1 part peppermint
All the best in Health,
It may be dangerous to discontinue and treatments or therapies without the guidance of your healthcare practitioner. We cannot be held responsible for any adverse reactions you may experience should you stop your program abruptly, or alter your remedies in any way; if you have any concerns, please contact your